- Name of company: Tor Ecology
- Where is the company based? Totnes
We will be conducting a range of ecology surveys on the site over the next 12 months in order to establish the ecological baseline conditions on the site. This will include surveys for protected species, including bats, otter, dormice and breeding birds. Moving forwards we will also feed these findings into the design phases of the proposals, working alongside other members of the design team (i.e. architects and landscape architects) in order to establish appropriate mitigation and biodiversity enhancements on the site. We also hope to work with the community itself in providing mitigation and enhancements that work for them as a community as well as for wildlife. As Atmos Totnes is the first project of its kind in the UK it’s a real opportunity to model this community-led development process and we are delighted to be involved!
- Please share here other information that might help people understand the background of the company and its values.
As a company we have strong social values at Tor Ecology and believe in an holistic approach to development wherever possible. Developments that respond to the needs of local communities are critical in terms of the health and wellbeing of us all and we regularly work alongside local groups to enable them to achieve their own projects with this goal.
- Name of Atmos Totnes lead within this company: Jenni Reid
- Job title: Managing Director
- What do you think makes Atmos Totnes so interesting?
Apart from the fact the project is the first of its kind in the UK, from an ecological point of view there is a lot of potential for integrating and enhancing biodiversity across the site which makes the project very exciting to work on.
- Tell us a bit more about you. It can be something from your professional life or something about your interests outside of work.
I grew up in the Cornish countryside and developed a keen interest in wildlife from an early age. I have been working as an ecologist for over 10 years now and strongly believe connecting with the natural environment is vital for our health and wellbeing. More recently I have become a mum and running around after my toddler takes up most of my time outside of work!
- If there were an object to represent your role in the Atmos Totnes project what would it be?